BITUM Chemical Industries was established in 1948, at the Haifa Bay, by Mr. Ben-Zion Dishon, an Industrial Chemistry Engineer, who has already established several other rubber and bitumen factories in Israel.
During its first years, BITUM concentrated on producing bitumen materials, used as sealants in large projects in Israel, such as the "National Water Carrier", leading water from the north to the south of Israel.
BITUM took a significant business turn in 1961, when DELEK Ltd., the largest petrol company in Israel, acquired 60% of BITUM's shares and took over the control. BITUM's name was changed to "BITUM Petrochemical Industries Ltd.".
In 1985, BITUM opened its first bitumen emulsions production plant, which enabled the company to enter the road paving materials production market, as a significant supplier.
During the following years, BITUM focused on extensive research and development in the field of sealing materials for cold application and became a leader of this important and developing market segment, as well as other sealants for construction and building market segments. In recent years, BITUM also entered the thermal and acoustic insulation field, introducing innovative technology and user and environment friendly materials.
Concurrently with BITUM's extensive operations in Israel, in the sealing and insulation fields, the company started exporting its sophisticated products to various destinations throughout the world, as part of its business strategy to penetrate additional markets and expand its activities abroad.